Sunday 31 March 2013

My first Ceramic workshop

Hello it's Easter! I decided to kick it off by researching into how I would create the curtains for my creative room. So far we think we will stencil green patterns on but we will see how the tests turn out.

But today I got up earlier than I would for work to try out a taster hand built ceramic class, it was awesome and I needed the whole three hours to build my plant pot! I used the coil technique which requires me to roll out 6 sausages and then blend inside and out between each. It was tough! Especially after doing so many planks at body step Friday morning! I was really panicking about time towards the end as well. Some people made two things because they just used the slapping technique which you just roll a flat piece out and the curl it and that's it! Then you can spend the whole time decorating! I think I only had 40 minutes for it.

So this is how it looks.
From the side, the edges are uneven but I quite like it.
And from the back and yes the arms are different sizes! haha.
This is Angie's little cactus pencil holder.
And here is me with my proud little piece!

Now in three to four weeks mine will be glazed in white and my friend Angie have chosen dark green for hers cactus pencil holder! :)

I plan to do more ceramics in the future but I'm not sure I have enough patience and I didn't like the clay being so cold and the studio was freezing! But I would love to go to a workshop where you can build, colour and glaze the entire thing yourself!

p.s This is where I did the workshop. http://gocreate.co.uk/
And it was a nice class because Silvia was a very ethusiastic teacher:)


No comments:

Post a Comment